Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Shows and Movies

What a generic title, don't you think? It's another drab, snowy cold morning here in Downtown Detroit. I would rather be anywhere than in this office. I have not even had a moment to wolf down my cherry yogurt and banana. Anyhow let me get into the meat of this entry. Friday evening Marygrove College held a special coffeehouse "Contemporary Literary Voices & Urban Leadership" in honor of their inarguating a new President, David Fike and to celebrate their theme for the festivities, urban leadership. The coffeehouse featured a stellar line up including myself,Versiz, Karega Ani, and Queen Sheba. Asha Bandele was supposed to be joining us but unfortunately she got stalled in New York.

I will confess it was a little unnerving performing with my family there and the beginning was just slightly rocky for me, but I think I came out with a good show. I'm taking notes on what to do better next time. But one of the high points of the evening was seeing Queen Sheba perform live for the first time. I had heard of her before and heard some audio clips, but hearing her and seeing her live is entirely two different experiences. Sista was phenomenal. She OWNED that stage and had the audience spellbound. She has the type of raw power and confidence that permeates. In a word she is DOPE. I would definitely share another stage with her.

It was great seeing my family and friends that came out to support - Righteous, Lottie, Alia, Talitha, Morgan, Linda and Zawadi. I am thankful for having such a wonderful circle of family and friends around me. It make me grateful to know that I am loved and encouraged even though I definitely have my rough days.

Over the weekend I had the chance to check out two flicks, one of which was 300 and let me tell you it was OFF THE CHAIN! The battle scenes were amazing and the Leonitus character was gangsta. MAN what a movie! This movie is killing Troy and I LOVE that movie. You must check for this.

The other movie is Tyler Perry's Daddy's Little Girls which I went with my family to see as part of the celebration of my Grandmother's 67th birthday. As with all Tyler Perry productions Daddy's Little Girls had a moral, down home, in the hood feel good theme. Starring one of my favorite actresses, Gabrielle Union, in another anal, man gnawing role who learns love does not come in a particular tax bracket. The unlikely leading man, Idris Elba, plays a hardworking brother from the "hood" that is left to care for his 3 little girls after their grandmother dies. Not wanting to see them with their uncaring and reckless mother he struggles through various oppositions to keep his family together. It's a nice family movie and anyone who wants to see a decent Black movie and likes Tyler Perry films should go check it out.

Anyhow that concludes my blog for now. No, there was no life altering or deep contemplations to feast upon, but some days life simply is what it is. I can't ponder the fate of the Universe everyday now can I?

No comments: