Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Shrinking Cities - Daughters of the Dust

For the last month I have heard much ado about the "Shrinking Cities" project that is currently being hosted at Cranbrook Institute and The Museum of Contemporary Art Detroit. The Shrinking Cities exhibit is so huge it took up for stadiums in Berlin they say. What is the Shrinking Cities project? you may ask. It is a collaborative effort involving architects, academics and artists who are examining the relationship to urban areas and the shrinking population under the direction of Phillip Oswalt of the Federal Cultural Foundation (Berlin). This documentary examines several cities: Detroit, MI, Ivanova, Manchester, Liverpool, Halle and Leipzig in order to study the phenomena of "shrinking cities".

It was in 2004 that I was invited to participate in the Shrinking Cities project by local poet/academic/curator Aurora Harris. I read and was filmed along with several other poets. The piece I chose for the film is entitled: "Daughters of the Dust" which talks about the relationship of African American males to urban areas and its impact on their families and communities. It was 3 years before I finally heard anything else about this project until to my surprise I received a phone call saying the project was on exhibit here in the States. Writers from all over the Metro Detroit area had been invited to discuss and share work regarding this project but I was one of the last to know, and had been featured in the film!

Needless to say I was not happy about this and sent someone in search of answers---but those details are too mundane to blog. I will be going this Saturday to check out the exhibit and finally see the finished product and get a copy of the film so I can finally have my long awaited footage!
Let me share the piece I read for the film with you:

Daughters of the Dust

By Chantay “Legacy” Leonard

I

I know the cries of Queens without Kings

They cast down their crowns at the feet of their Creator

Rent their royal robes and cover their beauty with ashes

Weeping for their lost sons, brothers, and husbands

Queens wail and turn their faces to the wall

Dying of their grief and heartbreak

They can no longer conceive the seeds of warriors

Queens weeping for lost kingdoms

Aborted destinies

They give birth to multiplied sorrows

Their hope has gone with the spirit of their lost warriors

Wombs weeping for the lost legacies of great nations

Don’t want to birth no more sons without their kings

Don’t want to hear the cries of a newborn asking, “Why?”

She bows her head and cries

She cannot remember the face of her king

To tell her sons and daughters of a Black father

Who stood tall in battles

A warrior of God who loved his land and people

The blessed love of her life that cherished her

She birthed his tribes

He was her strength

She was his glory

She now no longer remembers the stories of great men

Cause she has no King

She has watched her princes raised from the cradle of her arms

To the awaiting limbs of weeping willows

Floating in the wind

Her heart stopped with their last breathe

She falls to her knees

Driving a dagger through her own breast

But God won’t let her die

She dries the tears from her eyes and accepts the burden of living without love

She bleeds rivers of sorrow inside

Even as she stands tall

Her pride is her shield

Against the world that has stolen her joy

She renounces the title of queen

Transforming into a daughter of the dust

Cause she only lives for that one day

When she returns to the Earth from which she came

To join the lost warriors of her womb

II

Dust to dust

Ashes to ashes

In 2001 I watch the lost sons of Queens

Dash her dreams against street curbs

How does the son of Kings and Queens

Reduce himself to a Super Nigga?

Swinging through the concrete jungle

Creating a breed of royal bastards

By every Jane hanging out on the corner

Project Africa burning down to rubble

With overseers on 24 hour patrol

Daughters of the Dust watching as pales demons beat the brains out their firstborn

Redrum soaking the glass encrusted concrete

Even as the sirens wail ominously in the wind

Daughter watching lost seeds marching to the beat of Hip hop-pocracy

Spouting derisive philosophies on open mics

Sending their souls straight to an open grave

Cause the ancestors hear

The lost children cursing their own mothers and sisters

Steady swinging from a platinum noose

Shining deceptively in the lights of a stage

The Afro-Nigga AmeriKKKan Minstrel show

Men reduced to dogs

Who lick up their own vomit

Now justice has become just ice

These lost sons have deceived themselves into believing

That being a man

Is measured by the shine, karats, or grams

Stuck in the rut of STATUS

Still To Arrogant To Understand Success

That why they ain’t truly blessed

And find no rest

Always under the strain

To retain earthly riches

Gaining nothing but a flock of fake bitches and computer glitches

That in one moment could cause you to lose all wealth

Including your mental health

But how can you survive a bankrupt spirit?

Oh my lost sons of the Daughters of the Dust

I know you are not trying to hear it

But the Earth cries for the return of your kingly spirit

See I cannot arise from these ashes without you

Push back the clinch

That Willie Lynch’s your psyche

And remember who you are!

I know your scars run deep

Cause only God hears your weeping in the darkness

Only He has a rag big enough to wipe the tears of a Black man

I will help you stand

When you hurt I cry

I will give you my strength to restore your pride

The world is not right

When you and I are divided

So let us join together and fight!

Because you are my love, my warrior, my lord, my hero

My love, my warrior, my lord, my hero

My love, my warrior, my lord, my hero

Let me be the curve in your smile

The sparkle in your eyes

The warmth in your heart

Return to me my King

So that we may once again exist as one

No comments: