Thursday, April 8, 2010

NaPoWrimo #8: Unusual Love Poem

With only 15 minutes to spare until midnight...

Certain men in my life have been
cell phones with all the bells and whistles
That takes a splash and suddenly malfunctions.
Or any overpriced electronic diversion
That can't handle the accidental spills of life.

A pair of socks,
Going threadbare too quickly.
Leaving my heels and toes exposed.
You bargain bin buy, you.
Not worth the dime I spent
inside your thin cotton.
You never came clean after the wash.

The gorgeous red lily I bought that died after two days.
All decoration, and no growth.
Watering will kill any living thing
That does not know how to receive
nourishment.

I am accident prone.
You are the no fault insurance
after the damage is done.
No coverage, no compensation
for injuries incurred during involvement.

The men I have loved could be
cheap stilettos.
Sharp, sexy and fun.
Until stepping into the cracks
of the sidewalk.
The sole quickly wears down
and leaves me sore.

A Payless pick
will never be a Manolo Blahnik.
I love shoes, but next time I will shop
for better support.
Choose reliable men as accessories
to match.
No BOGO's allowed when it comes to
my heart.

1 comment:

JD Mackenzie said...

Yes, unusual but nice analogy and haven't we all made at least one partner-to-accessory comparison?
JDM