Sunday, April 4, 2010

Napowrimo prompt #4: Inside Out

It lies upon the floor
In a congealing pool of crimson
Wetly vulnerable
Unflinching before my sickened gaze.
Unable to escape judgment
The inevitable foot that will stamp it.

My heart.

Exposed to sunlight.
To every eye it would hide from.
I can't force it back in my chest.
It is obscene in it's slick, organic beauty.
Brazenly lying in the open.
Daring me to pick it up.
Reclaim it and make it safe again.

Hands tremble.
Ribs constrict around empty space.
I am so hollow.
I taste the blood on my tongue.
Tucking the screams in my cheeks.
Ordering tear ducts
To offer no merciful dew
To this traitor.

Outside, people pass by.
Unaware of this trauma.
Inside, I stare in mute horror
At my rebellious heart.
Knowing it will never be safe again.

6 comments:

Stan Ski said...

Sometimes you just want to rip it out don't you?
Great piece - Happy Easter!

Rob Kistner said...

The heart is a task master, and a persistent survivor...
...rob
Image & Verse

Wayne Pitchko said...

nice one...thanks for sharing your words

1965 Footprints said...

I like your word choice. Original, graphic, interesting. Thanks for sharing!

evelyn.n.alfred said...

This poem resonated for me. I hope you manage to protect your heart before it gets trampled on.

Legacy Leonard said...

Thank you all for the kind comments.